Legs are made up of a large network of veins. Healthy leg veins contain valves that open and close to assist the return of blood back to the heart. They are also a source of common problems-varicose veins and spider veins. Visible varicosities are enlarged veins that can be dark, purple or blue. They are caused by damage to the blood vessels, and often resemble ropey cords that can appear to bulge.
Varicose veins can also be swollen and raised above the surface of the skin. Unsightly and uncomfortable, varicose veins can cause itchiness, heaviness, swelling, and achiness in the legs, ankles, and feet. Painful methods of treating venous insufficiency in the past like "stripping" are now considered outdated for venous disease, and have been replaced with more minimally invasive treatment options like Varithena® (polidocanol).
Venous insufficiency can be a long-term condition and is most commonly due to malfunctioning valves in the leg veins. It may also occur as a result of a past blood clot in the legs. Some factors that can contribute to varicose veins and other debilitation symptoms include:
Varithena (polidocanol) is a powerful tool in the fight against venous incompetence. It only takes a small amount of this mighty injectable foam to treat damage to the blood vessels caused by problems with the great saphenous vein (gsv). The GSV is the longest vein in your body. Varithena® treats a wide range of varicose vein conditions including:
During the procedure, Varithena® (polidocanol) is administered through a catheter or by direct injection into the malfunctioning vein. The microfoam fills and treats the problem area, causing the diseased vein to collapse. Blood flow then shifts to healthier veins in the legs. Varithena® for vein disease is a safe, FDA approved treatment.
Injection Site is Numbed
Varithena® Microfoam is Injected
Diseased Vein Safely Collapses
Blood is Rerouted to Healthy Veins
There are many benefits of treating venous insufficiency with Varithena® microfoam, and our healthcare providers at Allure Medical have seen real results with the administration of Varithena® treatments.
1) Varithena® injectable foam is considered the least traumatic form of varicose vein treatment in comparison to other non-thermal venous insufficiency procedures. It is quick and easy from start to finish, only taking about 20-30 minutes to complete.
2) Varithena® treatment for vein disease does not require the use of tumescent anesthesia.
3) With the use of Varithena® microfoam, symptoms are alleviated rapidly. From a cosmetic concern, patients are immediately able to see results, and the appearance of varicose veins is greatly improved. Patients no longer experience leg pain, they can return to their daily activities, and improve their quality of life.
4) There is very little downtime after Varithena®, in fact, the patient is able to walk out the door immediately following their treatment session. The vein specialists at Allure Medical strongly suggest patients wear compression stockings to reduce bruising, and to prevent deep vein thrombosis (blood clots). Compression stockings also help push blood back up through the veins as the leg heals.
5) In clinical studies, Varithena® microfoam was shown to greatly improve vein disease symptoms like heaviness, achiness, swelling, throbbing, and itching.
6) Most insurance plans cover Varithena® treatments including Medicare.
Varithena microfoam for venous insufficiency requires no surgery, no incisions, and side effects are minimal. Varithena® treatment takes less than an hour, and you can resume your normal activities the same day. Post-treatment of Varithena® includes taking three 20 minute walks daily, and avoiding heavy exercise for about one week.
Our skilled, caring vein specialists at Allure Medical are experts in the field of venous insufficiency. Allure is the top facility for varicose vein treatment, with more experience than any other clinic throughout the Midwest. We have performed more than 200,000 varicose vein procedures, backed by a stellar reputation and the trust of our patients.
Allure Medical offers a variety of vein disease treatment options to achieve healthier veins and alleviate leg pain. Don't wait to schedule your appointment with one of our vein specialists for your free leg screening. See if you're a candidate for vein treatment today.